Thursday, September 28, 2006

My boy was a total White Knight the other weekend.
A White Knight is a stripper term for a guy, usually ur partner, a customer, or a 'friend' who trys to get you out of dancing.
"You don't need to do it."
"I will work extra hours and look after you."
or even - " I can get you an apartment and take care of you whilst you are at university/child/shopping/whatever."
I know of no other job where this happens with frightening regularity.

Boyfriends usually have a 6-9month window on this one. Once tthe honeymoon period is over, thats it, its time for a reality check. They decide - or realise, that they don't like their little princess flirting with strangers and taking her clothes off in public, and want their girl to get a 'normal' job instead. Then the paranoia starts to creep in - they wake up late at night, checking the clock to see if you are not back at your 'usual' time, wondering who that text message is from, who I am meeting for lunch etc etc.

GET OUTTA MY FACE

Give it up he said.
What, and get into massive debt at university?

You do realise that I have been doing this for several years, have built up close friendships with several - no- many of the dancers, all over London and even the world, bills have to be paid and, shit, I like getting out of the house a few evenings a week.
IN fact, it all began before I even met the boy, so is a bigger part of my life in the pure longevity stakes at least. AND I met him thru a fellow dancer.

I think we rode this tide at least - I can be super stubborn when I want to be.
Once it all calmed down, we went for a night out in the funky bars of the East End and tried to chat up the tequila shot girl between us.
Anything to keep him happy and the relationship fresh, no?

No comments: